What's your idea, question, or bug report?

Add/Modify rules mid-game

There should be some way to add/modify rules mid-game. Perhaps with some penalties if that makes it fair.

48 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Augustus LoiAugustus Loi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    liayliay shared a merged idea: Can I revise (add) the rules and time setting to play health Month - that we still play?  ·   · 
    MJMJ shared a merged idea: Change goals mid-month if you *really* need to.  ·   · 
    erinerin shared a merged idea: changing difficulty of rules mid-game  ·   · 

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • tacosquirreltacosquirrel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is a good idea. Sometimes your goal is to run 3 times a week, but you twist your ankle after the first week. In that case being able to change your goal to something more appropriate would help you stay in the game.

Maybe it could work similarly to the fruit for healing thing - where if you posted a plea to your team explaining your situation and why you wanted to change your goal, they could give you enough fruit - or some other form of approval.There could be a limit to how often goals could change. Or as Augustus said there could be a penalty - you could sacrifice life points to make the change.

• JessJess commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think paying a fruit penalty (maybe as much fruit as you'd cash in for a life point) would be a fair exchange for editing rules mid-game. If you're out of fruit you can't edit, and that would put a cap on the amount of fiddling people could do. Since I've done lots of stuff like this before, I knew to start super small, but even so I overestimated how much water I could drink in a day and lost a lot of life points for that last month.

• evacarlstromevacarlstrom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to be able to edit rules for the first day or two of the month--invariably, I make some mistake in initial setup, either in calibrating something, or a typo, or forgetting to write in an exception, and I think in the first day or so that that should be amendable.

• AeinAein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think in mid-game (after a two week mark) you should be allowed to edit rule difficulty as well as maybe REPLACE a rule with something else. (if you delete/replace a rule, you could lose the accumulated points related to that rule, or worse, etc.) I think a replacement option as well as an edit option would be great.

• rickybuchananrickybuchanan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had this problem in my first month too, some of my goals I had mis-estimated by a HUGE amount on how difficult they would be and wanted to either adjust the rated difficulty in the game or adjust the goal itself slightly so that what I was aiming for was actually at the difficulty I had been shooting for.

I actually ended up "editing" in my head what the goal itself was and then telling HealthMonth my actual results for the "edited" internal goal - so basically I was lying to the website so that I didn't go crazy. Otherwise I would have failed at it basically every day which was so demoralising that I would have given up altogether.

I'm thinking perhaps paying (in life points?) during the first 10 days of the month to edit one's goals would be a method that balanced between not making it too easy to "wimp out" versus making it so hard that people give up?

• aem2149aem2149 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand. It's discouraging to realize that you just can't keep up with some of your rules. If you had an opportunity to change them, you could learn what was more realistic and be more successful

• sidewalkdivasidewalkdiva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trying to understand: Are you looking for the opportunity to admit you bit off more than you can chew & set more realistic versions of your goals, say after one week? (Maybe pay some fruit for the privilege? maybe limit this option to the first Xdays of the challenge?? maybe limited to Xgoals?)

Is this what you meant?

If indeed part of the process is about learning to know yourself, and you learn the lesson early on, it seems that this might be in keeping with the spirit of the game...

Feedback and Knowledge Base