What's your idea, question, or bug report?

Better privacy throughout the site

I don't want my weight/energy updates to show on the wall, but I like them on the chart. A way to edit privacy settings would be great. (I know it's a "social" game, but, still.)

===MERGED==============
For both individuals and teams, I would really like to have more privacy options. I say this as a member and as a Team Captain. For instance, it would be helpful if people could choose to have closed team walls and/or for individuals to choose whether their updates can be seen only by their teammates or everyone. I also feel uncomfortable that non-members who have not been approved are able to post to the team wall. Usually this is not a problem, but it would be good to be able to block users if needed, from viewing your own profile/updates as well as from posting on your team's wall.
There are times when I'd like to share info with my teammates, but don't want to share it with the entire web. Better privacy options would really help to enhance what has become a truly supportive team environment.

169 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    LucyLucy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Healthy RachHealthy Rach shared a merged idea: More Privacy Controls  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Post Usernames, not full names. I was very surprised, and not happily so..  ·   · 
    MsPeaMsPea shared a merged idea: User name versus Real/Full name  ·   · 
    mayamaya shared a merged idea: tell me what information will be exposed on the wall etc. before hand ?  ·   · 
    planned  ·  HealthMonth TeamAdminHealthMonth Team (Admin, Health Month) responded  · 

We are currently in the planning stages of this one and are working to get better privacy settings throughout the site. No promises on when it will happen, but you should start noticing some changes by the end of 2012.

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MMTMMT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been using Health Month since beta, September of 2010, and it's time that I be able to feel safe about my information. I love the social aspect of the game, but I can't exercise it if my actions cannot be private, because there are people who stalk my every Internet move. Please, please give us the option that most other social networks have and allow us to eliminate the mandatory public setting.

• NekoschNekosch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with suggestion. I've stopped tracking my weight instantly after realizing it's for everybody to see.

• Jim MJim M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do find the requirement that I have to hook into some social media as a real detractor for me. I would much rather choose who I want to disclose my information to and not have it publicly broadcast. Because of the requirement to be hooked into some social networking, I almost did not sign up. Also, keep in mind that we are talking about HEALTH information here, and even thought this site isn't a medical site, perhaps the spirit of HIPAA should be considered.

• sparklingrobotssparklingrobots commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are also some rules that ask us to fill out text (such as the "Things I'm grateful for" rule). Where does that information get displayed?

• MJMJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I'd like my whole profile to be private if I want it to be, only available to health monthers, or to my team and friends. Right now all of the internet can see my updates and the the things I'm tracking.

• OvidiaOvidia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agree. I like what you did for 750 Words... that while I see all my own data I can choose what appears on on my 'share' page.

• Buster BensonBuster Benson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like that medium step.

As for your tiny report of the day, that will always remain private. I'll make that more clear as well.

• Joe HughesJoe Hughes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In general, a medium step would be to have your information (rules, progress, wall posts, etc. only be visible to teammates if you prefer.

On a related note, I still don't have a clear idea of what happens to my +10 point brief report about my day, and I find myself being much more vague because of that.

• Emily ThrelkeldEmily Threlkeld commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have you noticed that there's a tick box to not show your actual weight, just your weight change? I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but I find that not as invasive as sharing my actual weight.

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, there is obviously something going on with the sharing of weight - only few people do it once they realize it can be seen by everyone. Every social game should allow to control what and with whom (just you, your team, your friends, everyone who surf the internet, etc.) you share.

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Point is that 1) your identity is widely disclosed if you link your account to your facebook profile etc (also to people not participating in the game) while 2) some of the rules may disclose personal problems that may not be seen as "socially acceptable" across all cultures (alcohol abuse, eating disorder, internet addiction etc). So while one may chose to have ones progress visible to other participants of the game, one may not want to disclose all details of the rules to everyone that is "friend" on e.g. Facebook - otherwise one could have this game as part of facebook.

• ladyeepladyeep commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think using the user names that people pick when they sign up is a way to make most people happy with this. (And is what people are expecting as that is how most sites are run.) 99.999% of the people on this site will never know who I am and will be just as interested if things are posted as my nick or as my real name and still holds me accountable.

• KillerRooKillerRoo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know I'm a little late to this party, but in reply to Buster's comment of "...the whole benefit of this is the public accountability... otherwise we could all just be doing these things on our own with... a piece of paper":

True. But really, part of the appeal for me is the instant graphing, the over-time view of points, the sheer automation of the dissection of it is REALLY what drew me to it. Public accountability is all well and good, and a great motivator for a lot of people; but for my dollars it's more about not having to MANUALLY set up the spreadsheets and graphs and MANUALLY do the dissection, and MANUALLY calculating my success rate. I don't think having the option of making rules private would necessarily detract from the site all that much. For me, the motivation to keep doing it is in the cool UI tracking and the analysis. Being publicly accountable is just an added incentive for me. Still making things like daily point totals, life points, number of fruits, and other things like that public would still holds players somewhat publicly accountable for the continuation of rules.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I then immediately went back and changed my name to something bogus. Do I really want my personal health goals identified with my full name online? Don't think so! Isn't that why you have usernames?

• JeanJean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When we sign up, we're told to choose a username, but I don't see where that's displayed anywhere. I had presumed the username would be what would display and my real name would remain hidden on the site. That might be an easy way to address the concerns about having the real name associated with the real name. In fact, when I saw my real name was displayed in place of my selected username, I removed a portion of my real name to include only the portion I'm willing to have displayed.

• sarasara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's also not clear to me whether (when the site launches for real) all of my info will be available to anyone who googles your name, or whether one would have to be actually signed in and playing to access the info. The latter seems much more likely to allow folks to feel comfortable being more open on the site.

Incidentally, why ask for a real name? Most people are highly cautious about what they put out there online these days (and rightly so). Especially with rules like "reduce illegal substances" - people probably SHOULD NOT attach something like that to their real name in case an employer comes across it. I think if you want real honesty, real names are not the way to go.

• Buster BensonBuster Benson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good point. I will definitely make this more obvious. I have considered private goals, but figure that the whole benefit of this is the public accountability aspect... otherwise we could all just be doing these things on our own with ourselves and a piece of paper.

Still... I see your point and will consider ways to make this more obvious from the starting point, and think about ways that protecting some of the rules might be possible without losing the benefits of the site.

• Brooke DelancyBrooke Delancy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this. I would prefer to have the option to play the game privately, or with my goals/rewards invisible or revealed selectively. The game asks for honest admissions of our current health habits, and I don't feel comfortable knowing mine are linked to my real name on a public website.

Feedback and Knowledge Base