What's your idea, question, or bug report?

Be upfront about fees

It wasn't until the end, after creating all my rules, that the issue of money came up. Especially in a beta, this is an unpleasant surprise. In addition, it appears the fee is calculated? How is it calculated?

83 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Tim TateTim Tate shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • HealthMonth TeamAdminHealthMonth Team (Admin, Health Month) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Miri,

Nothing has changed regarding fees recently at all. You can still play up to 3 games for free.

One mistake that is commonly made, and that we are working on making more clear is the use of premium notifications. When you add a rule there is a line that says:
        "Remind me of this rule regularly" and is checked by default. It says under that, that that option is for premium accounts only.

This option lets you set different reminder times per rule. So instead of getting a reminder for all of your rules at one time they can be specific, which is a great help to a lot of people. For example you can set a rule that affects you in the morning, like eating breakfast to come in at 6am while you have a rule reminding you not to drink caffeine around 10am so you remember not to go for that second cup of coffee at work.

However that option is only on premium / paid accounts. So even if you only have one rule, if that option is selected when you create the rule then the system will ask for payment so that you can have a premium account to support that rule.

• MiriMiri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

anyone else notice that all rules - even just one rule - is asking for $$ now...?

• brockerbrocker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an opposing viewpoint- I loved that healthmonth was so laid-back about pushing the paid products. I didn't hesitate to pull out my card and pay because I got value from my additional rules, and I didn't feel like I was being pushed into buying something.

I would have liked it if there had been a small notification when I put in my 4th rule to point out that that put me into the next tier, but I didn't mind at all.

• honey darlinghoney darling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm probably not looking in the right place, but I can't find pricing anywhere. There's something about membership in the encyclopedia, but that doesn't tell me what membership means, only what it costs. What do other things cost? Where can I find this information?

• von toppolinivon toppolini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am in the same situation as Tim Tate - no idea about fees unitil I had spent considerable time on the site understanding and organising my plan. Also - if there is a 'Fee', how is it paid for? collected?

• clewisclewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, maybe in the introductory "About Health Month" page you can talk briefly about the first 3 rules are free then a $5 fee for 4 or more. (Or whatever it costs) This way when people read about it, before jumping in they know what to expect.

• Buster BensonBuster Benson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@SteveGr - I'm still trying to work out a few kinks in the pricing. Right now, playing on a team costs money, but I've been giving away sponsorships for everyone... apply for sponsorship and let me know and I'll let you through.

• SteveGrSteveGr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm confused. I signed up for the "Health Month First Timers" team. I have set up 2 rules. My account page both says "This game will cost $5, or require sponsorship." and "You are playing a free version of the game." I don't know whether I need to pay $5 or not.

• Buster BensonBuster Benson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good idea on adding the warning upon adding the 4th rule. I'm also interested in promoting the "apply for sponsorship" link a bit better, as I do plan on pretty much sponsoring everyone that can't pay for whatever reason for a while.

• rachelrachel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i agree, i thought that choosing 3 rules or under was free, but i've so far chosen one (custom) rule and it's saying it will cost me. the email said it was free for beta testers and i haven't given any payment details, so i'm not too worried, just confused. do custom rules cost? a thorough FAQ type would be good

• Tim TateTim Tate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oops, just read about the fees in the "how to play" instructions. It could still be a little more obvious, like when you pick a fourth rule, maybe popup saying "the first three are free, this one will cost money, do you want to continue?"

Feedback and Knowledge Base